Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mouse in the House.

Our neighborhood was created from what used to be a giant farm.  It's also still right next to a giant farm, and we can hear cows mooing and roosters crowing while we stand on the front porch.  Lots of times on my way to work in the mornings, I have to be on the lookout for teensy rabbits crossing the road in front of me. (Why did the rabbit cross the road? To narrowly escape the half-asleep lady behind the wheel.)  Yes this scene from Charlotte's Web sounds lovely, but for us, it means that not only do we have animals living around our house,
we have animals living IN our house.
And I'm not just talkin' 'bout Sophie.

Once, a bird flew in through the back door, and my dog lost her mind.  It pooped on our fridge, it clung in fear to our mini-blinds, and it finally made it out the front door.  This guy was the least of our problems because of his lovely friends in nature...MICE.
Since we've lived in this house (about 4 years now), we've killed at LEAST 15 mice who try to take up residence in our KITCHEN CABINET.  We've thrown away countless groceries that they mistakenly think we purchased for their gourmet dining purposes, Sophie has come dangerously close to insanity on numerous occasions as she stands staring at the cabinet doors, and I'm pretty sure the other night they were having a disco party in there.  There was squealing, there was rustling, there was snacking (on my peanut butter patties, thank you very much), and I'm positive I heard the faint sounds of a tiny mouse boombox. 
I am a clean. freak.  I can't stand clutter, and I really can't handle a messy or germy kitchen.  So please try to imagine how a pantry full of mouse poo makes me feel.  We've rearranged so that only canned goods are down there, we've taken everything out of the cabinets to try to find a tiny hole where they can come and go as they please, but they are STILL. HERE. 
I want to move.
So how do we get rid of them?  Eeeewww. When my baby starts playing with pots and pans, I really do NOT want her playing with mice...


No comments:

Post a Comment