Monday, March 14, 2011

so far, soooooooo good.

What I've Learned: Stella's First Three Months.
  • Having a baby is literally THE most life-changing thing I can imagine.  So much has changed in our lives, in my head, in my priorities, in what I dream of at night.  I'd always heard it, but never really understood it...now I do.
  • Nothing smells better than a clean baby after bath time.
  • I've never kept up with laundry as well as I do now.  Also, I am appalled at how many burp cloths and clean clothes a baby can barf on in one day.
  • I'm amazed at how a 12-pound little thing can create something so nasty, it triggers my gag reflex in dangerous ways. 
  • I actually can tell the difference between her hungry, bored, and sleepy cries.  For so long at the beginning, they all sounded the same, and I was terrified that I would never be able to tell the difference and was therefore a horrible mother.
  • I never dreamed (no pun intended) that I could function on so. little. sleeeeeeep. But I can.
  • Nothing makes me happier than when she smiles at me.
  • I have to get out of the mindset that noone can take care of her like I can.  Don't I?  How firmly do people stick with the concept of "maternal instinct?"  I'm still torn on that one.
  • It's terrifying that one little person can instill such extreme joy, fear, control-freakness, anxiety, pride, craziness, and the need to snuggle--all at the same time.
  • It's ahhhhhhhh-mazing...and I'm really trying to soak in and savor every minute.
Happy 3 months to Baby Stella!



No comments:

Post a Comment